Friday, August 29, 2008

Westward Ho The Bucket List -Week Two

Week two - UTAH - from Grand Junction to Moab to Bryce to Zion

Moab

My brother in law , Barry, mapped out the route and planned my itinerary. It was wonderful I could deviate or follow his directions. I had made reservations ahead of time so I pretty much knew that i wanted to make Vegas by Friday night . My brother in law is an Earth Science Geology teacher married to my sister also an Earth Science Geology teacher. My brother also majored in geology in College.


I saw lots of rocks and no I am not a Geologist and never even liked them (rocks) much. But WOW. We sure do have an awesome country. About 90% of the tourist I met (and yes I do talk with everyone) were foreign. So I asked each one I spoke with, why they were here? I got the same answer- our dollar is so weak compared to their money; that they got a good exchange rate. And YES I thanked them for spending their vacation money in the US. smile .We may have a weak dollar right now but we still have the most beautiful country. And YES I offered to take pictures of every family that was struggling -I am (now) a harmless American and of course honest and I think this was my ‘give back’ to my fellow man - I got to meet alot of friendly people. I think between Utah and Nevada I took over 50 pictures for other people. It made me feel good!


I started in Grand Junction then on I 70 to Rt 128 to Moab. I can drive about 2 hours before I start to fall asleep -so i had to stop alot. Close to Moab the road started following a river and had No guard rails. Now with two people in a car this is no problem -but it is very ah difficult to drive a car and look at the mountains and river (Colorado) by yourself. So I had to stop alot. I got to Moab and a nice clean Super 8. Rt 191. This is a neat town and I had reservations for a family style dinner and barge cruise down the river at 7. Cannyonlands by Night. I had a half an hour to spare. The dinner and cruise were okay -not really healthy food but western stick to your ribs fare. I ate veggies and some chicken i think. The barge cruise was different. An old guy told some jokes and had us look up at the canyon walls and see images in the rock walls until it got dark. Asked us where we were from row by row about 60% of the tourist were from the US on this cruise. When it was dark a truck with lights on the road opposite illuminated the canyon walls and a narrated tape with sound effects told the story of the early Mormon settlers to the area. It was ok but not worth $60.00. Sorry Barry ! I did meet two woman (Suzy and Ann) who were about a day ahead of me hiking without their husbands. They told me places to see in Arches -my first National Park. I later saw them all over Moab town and they said they liked the cruise.


A light continental breakfast is included at the Super Eight -I met a family from Salt Lake traveling with family. Some of which were camping. Total 11 in all . They were really nice and very friendly -the husband was about 10 years younger than I was =a runner and good shape-he had just had three stents in his heart a month earlier. So of course we talked about that. He was so shocked that it happened to him who always ate right and exercised, not overweight and young, the wife was a nurse. I ,of course, shared my story and the damage the two heart attacks did and how I am reversing all that with diet and exercise and medication (which we compared). The only thing he didn't seem to share with me was the depression I went thru. Maybe I need to start running?


Arches National park was wonderful. I opted to buy the annual America The Beautiful pass for $80.00 -since I was going to three parks at $25.00 each. The pass is good for a year -at all National Parks and Recreational Lands. It covers the Pass holder and occupants of a single non commercial vehicle, or where per person fees are charged -me and three people over 16. So I have a year to use the pass -i think either way I got my moneys’ worth.


I stopped at the visitor Center first and checked it out. The BEST discovery was a CD that I could play in my car that took me all through the park and told me what I was seeing and when to stop the CD as I got out to walk/ hike around. It cost $10 to buy and $5 to rent -it was in the bookstore and I was VERY excited to find it -it is NOT advertised. Unfortunately I later found out -Arches was the only national Park that has this unique tool. Each park is apparently run differently. Oh they are all USA and have park rangers that wear the funny Smokey Bear Hats. But they are really missing the boat in Bryce -not having a CD to rent.


The CD says it will take about 3 hours -I took 5 and could have gone longer. I stopped and walked everywhere. Even checked out the camp sites (fee to camp not covered by the pass) on the side of the cliffs with unbelievable views. I saw a thunderstorm over the canyon -I later learned it sparked a lightening bolt that started a fire in the town. I took a great pic of the storm cloud with my cell and camera and sent it to my brother and sister in law. Now they are planning their trip for next year based on my picture. sweet. I found the Indian Rock art talked about on the CD and fell in love with this ancient form of expression. The town of Moab's Visitor center has a brochure for finding Rock Art outside the park. I decided to do Moab rock Art the following day.


That night, I ate dinner, by myself, at a restaurant across from my motel called ‘Sunset Grill” which was built on a cliff and the highest restaurant in Moab. I was the only one in the restaurant but half the town had come up to hang on the deck to watch the fire the storm had sparked and the helicopters scooping water from the Colorado river and dropping it on the fire. I was told it was pretty exciting for their little town. smile I imagine a lot of people had fish the next day. I had a great view -not so good Prime rib. I spoke to a guy fixing the pot holes in the road straight up the cliff to the restaurant-he was from Philly and vacationed in Wildwood. He seemed very nice -but I was very tired and wanted to get back to the motel. see blog about eating alone


The next day I went looking for pictographs -met up with the two woman from the Canyonlands Cruise and laughed when we couldn't find the ‘birthing rock’- did find some really great rock art and they headed home to northern Utah and me to Bryce Nat'l Park -about 5 hours away. BUT No wait -one more gravel road to find more rock art -smile -and here are the same two woman -we laughed and exchanged names and email addresses and they said next hike they go on they will call me. The only problem is they are about 2 years older and in very good shape.

I struggled with each degree of altitude and heat. What ever made me think excising at sea level in an air conditioned gym -would prepare me for this trip on my own?

No comments: