Friday, August 29, 2008

Westward Ho The Bucket List -Week Two -Zion Park

Week Two - Zion ( last National Park )

On my way to a long lonely trip to Zion and the final Park. I came in from the North end of the Park -down a Mountain. that had switchbacks -so scary all I wanted to do was close my eyes and cry. As it was the WPA crews from the depression, made the roads red to match the mountain rocks and no guard rails.

So every pull off, I would stop and cry until I could stop shaking and drive on -I didn't like this at all. But I did it and didn't close my eyes or go off the road or hit the sides of the mountain. My heart is pounding even as I write this . It was horrible. Where are hitch hikers when you need them? Even a stranger in the car would have been better than alone. But I now have the setting for my horror story. Can you picture these huge campers swinging themselves back and forth on the switchback roads. One was behind me the first time I pulled over to cry.

If I am proud of myself for anything on the trip -it was driving that road. I STILL can not believe I did it alone!

Next, I get to a tunnel -that is so narrow -built for old time cars - only one lane of traffic can go thru at a time and the real big motor home -I think- must pay extra to have a designated driver. I had to wait and talked to a very young summer ranger (GS-4?) she is friendly and I tell her about the Nevada Barr novels about a female Law Enforcement National Park Ranger and her adventures. She has heard about them. A line of cars and two piggyback campers come thru -it is time to move.

The tunnel is wonderful !!!!!!!!-But you can not stop and explore it -the WPA crews ventilated it by cutting large windows in the side of the mountain -it gave light and air and the most fantastic views -if you drive slow -and I did! it was worth the wait and almost the switch back road -ALMOST! .....................shudder.

I didn't even know when I drove past the history museum and the Visitor center -but I am now out of the park into the town. I find my motel behind the Bank in the center of a large asphalt lot. It looked hot -I get out of the car it is about 120 degrees and 6pm. This is the only motel I picked on my own, Barry didn't know it -they stay in the Park at the Lodge (which is VERY nice and I would recommend people only stay there).

The place is okay -my room is very small -I have a shower only which is fine, it is cement and the ceiling is falling down. Otherwise the room is clean -but I am glad I have my $1.00 store Bath mat. It has sliders going out to a patio with two chairs. It must be cool some other season , not today. Next door is a goat farm with a heard of about 10 goats (I kid you not- sorry LOL ) I am surrounded by walls of the canyons. The desk clerk is creepy and tries to get me to go to a western show that night -I say ok and he gives me a stub to hand to the ticket desk - with his name on it -i guess he gets a kick back. I decide to skip dinner and the show and go into the park for the ranger talk at the Lodge. To weird.

I take the free town shuttle into the Visitors center and take the free shuttle into the park -the only way you can see Zion is on the shuttle bus -that takes you into the park and stops at the Lodge and places you can get off and walk. It is late but the sun is still bright. So I ride the town shuttle into the visitors center walk across the bridge to catch the Park shuttle to the Lodge. It is a little empty but I was never in this park or took any shuttles and it seems very organized

Everything is red but I am just glad not to be driving down any more scary red mountains on red roads and away from the motel clerk. The Park shuttle driver is very friendly -it is her last shift for the night but assures me the shuttles run to 10 and the lecture will be over at 9:30. She has a tape playing that tells about the park -but since I am not hiking that night -i don't pay attention. We are talking and she is single and is starting to tell me things to do on my own. When an American senior citizen tells us ‘girls ‘ to stop talking so he can hear the tape. Believe me the tape was plenty loud enough and if he had said something earlier we could talked softer. I was upset -but the driver didn't say one more word. I guess a complaint from a tourist could cost her the job. Talk about ugly American tourist.

I will never know if she would have told me ZION is the darkest place on earth and that when I got out of the ranger talk -the lodge has only sidewalk lighting. That you have to find the shuttle to take you back to the Visitor Center across from the lodge where you were let off. That the Park shuttle lets you off at the Visitor center the parking lot - that the lights are out and you have to try to find the bridge in the dark (I could hear the stream) and hope the shuttle driver for town sees you. I would liked to think she would of told me all that -but she didn' t because of the the ugly senior and I was put in a situation that scared me very badly.

The last Park shuttle was full and everyone got off and went to their cars -parked at the Visitors Center. I was the ONLY one on the last town shuttle and he parked opposite the bridge and turned on all his lights -it was the only way i could see to find the bridge. When I said; ' all the lights in the parking lot were out' -he said ; 'oh yea they are -aren't they?'

I called Barry and Deb and she said -oh yea we forgot to tell you to take a flashlight for Zion it is very dark. HELLO! I was really freaked out -as a single woman alone -I NEVER put myself in these kind of situations. I always am aware of my surrounding and this scared me.

OK, I was probably not in any danger but..........I have another setting and situation for a short story. Always put a positive spin on the adventure!

My last day -I still have to ‘do’ Zion. But, I just want to see my friend John. I have been on my own enough. I am Rocked out. I decide to treat myself to an early breakfast. The restaurant is barely opened -i am the first one. My waiter is a local man -just out of the Army and home to help care for his parents. he says that most local people are really into outdoor sports. of course , the economy is tourist. I can relate -that is what it is like at home. I am a little homesick. For the first time on the trip I decide to eat breakfast -not just yogurt and bagel like normal.

I get so sick.

I check out at the very last hour for the motel. Drive and park my car at the visitor center. Nice bathrooms.

Go into Zion. Ride the shuttle bus throughout the whole park, but in this park unless you get off the bus and walk you can not see anything much from the road. I go to the History museum -which is neat and see a film about the park. Take the shuttle back to the lodge.

I have now found every bathroom in the park.

It is sooo hot. I am melting. Try to hike a little around the lodge but take a wrong turn and find my self going up a rocky sandy walkway to the upper pools

F*** this !!!!! I take the shuttle back to the Visitor center. Walk around -they have an air tower cooler -no air conditioner -it is hot.

Back to the car. The ice in the ice chest is melting and i want to put my head in the water and drown myself. Turn on the car -air at full blast -the overheating light comes on -are you KIDDING me .

Back into the visitor center -stop again at the bathrooms- find out where the Toyota dealer is -couple towns down the road -the one mechanic they use to have in Zion went out of business, Oh joy!

I am leaving this red town and red road. I get started -on my way to Vegas -the engine light goes out. I drink a pedalite and my electrolytes must balance -I feel better. I just want to be at John’s and not drive any longer. But “I have miles to go before I rest”.

The afternoon drive to Vegas is forever and boring. But about 4 pm I cross the Nevada State Line -stop at a truck stop to yes use the bathroom, and call John. He is on his way to the gym -tells me to get off the exit AAA recommended and then gave me a better direction. I get to a gas station around the corner from his house -call him -he is 10 min away and I get out to use the rest room. He meets me and I follow him 3 min to his town house.

Finally, I am with my best friend. I am so glad to see him -it has been almost 2 years since I last saw him during a trip to New Jersey. He was supposed to be out of town the week I was traveling in Utah but that trip was posponed to next week. He invited me to stay with him Friday and Saturday night. This is the reason I have driven 800 miles to Las Vegas! I have missed him very much.

No comments: