Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Doctor Visit

The Dr Visit was in the same building in which I attended the lecture. A small waiting room with a large almost empty display case full of  barriatric  supplements. I gave my name and put my co-pay on my credit card. It took a while I had all the paperwork filled out -I was a half an hour early.
The first thing I noticed about the waiting room were the chairs had arms and were extra wide seats.

I turned around to take a seat and saw John from my gym. It was nice to see a friendly face and one I had been asking questions and talking with. He had his pre surgery shorts with him, he wore six years ago. Initially he was 421lbs. They were pretty large. I wondered if I would have a similar pair six years from now? I would be 67 and thin? Better yet healthy? We talked a bit then , they called John in.

I waited and waited then Jessica, the medical assistant -very very thin and not in scrubs, called me into the inner sanctum of the office. She welcomed me to the Weight Loss Center and asked me to step on the scale. It was a small step onto a large scale with handles. Are we noticing a pattern here? Everything is scaled to a morbidly obese person. More than 100 over weight. I am not.

She asked how tall I was . I said 5'7 or 5'9. You see all thru school I was 5'7 then at 49 I had my stroke and I was measured at 5'9.  Weird.  I was 5'9" . I now realize when I filled out all the initial paperwork to attend the seminar I must have put 5'7". "Then, she asked, what kind of surgery option I wanted? I said I did not know. I had thought Lap band before the lecture. But now I was thinking maybe the permanent stomach surgery -that is what I wanted to discuss with Dr O."

She took my blood pressure and asked me about my medicines and said the Dr. would be in shortly and left the room. I got no emotional feedback from her , very  clinical. It was a really long time and I was about to go back into the outer waiting room - the room was closing in and I was getting more nervous. I said a prayer to God to help me decide which of the four surgery options to choose.

Dr O came into the room. I was sitting in the chair , reading the material they passed out at the seminar. I stood and shook his hand and introduced my self. He had an ok handshake, not as strong or weak just average. The kind of handshake that comes from a person that has not made a commitment yet. I think I sub-consciously knew then. I got on the table and he sat on the round rolling stool. He said he remembered me from last night and I kind enough to laugh at some of his jokes. I said Thank you (for remembering me). he opened my file.

Then he said that my BMI -Body Mass Index -weight /height was not high enough for surgery. My insurance would not authorize it. That they were not doing this surgery in the US below 34, they were in other countries but not here. I am not a candidate. I was stunned. I though maybe I was a poor risk medically for surgery,but not fat enough?  I then asked about his weight loss program? and he said he used two types of pills and with my medical history (ie heart attack) they were not an option. He said this was a good thing and he could recommend his Nutritionist. I said no thanks, I lived an hour away. Then he said: 'sorry sweetie', but he didnt want to waste my time, (or his) when he could not help me.  I once again Thanked him. He left the room ahead of me and he told someone to take me off the schedule. No one met my eyes on the way out. John was at the counter and I said Good-bye to him.

I left the office in shock.

I now realize it was the mistake in my height that allowed me to get this far in the process. I was never fat enough -sick enough YES , fat yes ,but not enough for elective surgery. I also may call back for the Nutritionist name and make an appointment. It is a male and I didnt like the many many female Nutritionist(s) I have already seen . It isnt that far, I guess. It is still sinking in, I need to put this experience in perspective. I just need a couple of days to redirect "my life goes on attitude".

I also realize, God sent me my answer. Now if could just let me in on his plan for me?

Yes ,my sense of humor is still here.

No comments: