Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My adventure as an Enumberator for the US Census

I thought I would start keeping a diary of sorts for my new temporary job as a Census Enumerator. of course I will NOT give any identifiable personal information about the citizens I encounter.Hopefully it will go well.

It started circa 2008 with my Best Friend telling me I had to much time on my hands in retirement and I needed to do more. He suggested Dept. of Commerce and the Census in 2010, but I couldnt find out where to apply on the web site. Ok , so I didnt really look that hard. Forward to 2010 and my little post office. My Postmistress handed me a pamphlet and said you need to apply -this is perfect for you. It was about working for the 2010 Census, and a phone number to call to schedule the test. It also had a web site. So I called and got registered for the next test offered ,in my County. The web site had a sample test and test questions.

I was surprised I only needed two forms of ID and not fingerprints. I showed up /took the test -which had a couple of unusual questions -but of course appropriate for a future enumerator with the Department of the Census. Also I taken the self test online and it was excellent preparation for the test itself. Census employees that administered the test,  also graded the tests by hand -right then -and anyone who wanted to, could stay for their grade. I left.

About a month later, I was called Did I still want the Job? and come to training. I said "Sure"/ wrote down the information and went to FL. for a week. I called when I got back to verify it was a real job offer. It was. A week later they called me to ask if I wanted to help them out with fingerprinting?. I said "Sure". So last Wednesday I was taught how to finger print the other newly hired enumerators. Dept of Commerce still uses ink on cards and sends them to the FBI.  I am not kidding.

Let me get this straight -most everyone has converted to quick Digital finger imaging that link directly to FBI or upload to the Agency. People have been allowed to take the test and started in the system without their finger prints or clearance/ at least 25 people were sent to finger print training and paid to learn ink printing. No computers were issued or did the Census contract out  the fingerprint job  to a private company that uses computers and digital printing. Census sends all the ink prints by FedEX. Does any of this make fiscal sense? I am not in charge, I am not in charge.

Finger print class also got alot of administrative paperwork out of the way. So far teaching is reading out of the book. Actually for the length of time these crew leaders have been on the job (a week longer than I ) they are doing ok. It is boring and more time was spent on paper work than learning. it was very very disorganized. I was told today I need to have my prints done again because they can NOT find them . I am not kidding.

Today was the first day of Enumeration training. Held in a large room in the local Fire Company Hall.very very nice and much better than the fingerprint class; a small Sunday School Room in a Church. Who picks these training sites? Do they have to be free? Today's class was repetition of last Wednesday's class, but our Crew leader is much more organized so far -and funny. Of about 15 people scheduled for her crew only 9 showed up and said they were available. We did the fingerprinting at the end . It went well but took a while. Our crew consists of  Two real young males -I dont know if they have voted yet. A few young women.. Five Young senior Women, I think three are retired. The Crew Leader is about 49 and not currently working but was /is in Real Estate related businesses.


Did you know ?

"Historic Snapshot of the Nation

The official U.S. Census is described in Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution of the United States. It calls for an actual enumeration of the people every ten years, to be used for apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives among the states. The first official Census was conducted in 1790 under Thomas Jefferson, who was the Secretary of State. That census, taken by U.S. marshals on horseback, counted 3.9 million inhabitants. Since that time, the decennial Census has been conducted every ten years, generally on April 1 in years ending in a zero.

Census
 2000
Besides providing the basis for congressional redistricting, Census data are used in many other ways. Since 1975, the Census Bureau has had responsibility to produce small-area population data needed to redraw state legislative and congressional districts. Other important uses of Census data include the distribution of funds for government programs such as Medicaid; planning the right locations for schools, roads, and other public facilities; helping real estate agents and potential residents learn about a neighborhood; and identifying trends over time that can help predict future needs. Most Census data are available for many levels of geography, including states, counties, cities and towns, ZIP codes, census tracts and blocks, and much more."




I am glad I took the job -it seems like a good crew and a HECK of an Adventure ! :)))))

No comments: