Monday, April 19, 2010

Flight to Florida


I recently went down to Florida for a week to visit my parents in Ft. Myers -it was my Mother;s 80th birthday. I also was able to visit with a retired snowbird friend from Penn State U, in Sarasota. It was a busy but nice visit.
                                      
I flew in a Southwest airline plane. It was nice but they offer no seat assignments. However, for $10.00 extra dollars each way, you can board after the wheelchair people and Kids between 6 and 12, that fly without their grownups. They wear these badges around their necks and usually have heavy back packs that fit under the seat filled with snacks and things to do. They dont need the leg room, their legs are short. So I was in the A boarding (or sort of first) #26 of 30. The first people have room in the overhead for their carry on luggage and a choice of seating. EVERYONE has carry-on luggage -so if you dont board early -space is tight. In fact, the last people to board had to take any available seat and had no idea where their luggage was stored. But they saved $10.00. If I ever fly SW again / they allow two check in bags at no additional cost/ I will try the small carry on and board last and save myself $10.00 -welllll maybe.:))))

 I really lucked out -I like the aisle seat -so when I boarded about three rows were filled -except one with two kids. The aisle seat was free.I sat there and put my carry on above. Two ten year old girls -not related -were in the window and middle seats. They were delightful. Having just met each other , they included me in their adventure. Seasoned travelers they were in constant motion. One with enough energy to power the plan and non stop talking. The other was a bit younger and shy , but non the less delightful. We shared stories and pictures of our families and pets from our cell phones. They offered me snacks and stories of their lives. The more outgoing one informed us she was studying to be an actress -told us her full name and urged us to remember our meeting when she became famous. I shared my frog story with them . They were very quiet and then with deep regret told me that Walt Disney had already made the story. WHAT? I , being childless had no idea. They were quite curious, I had no children or pets? The shy girl also said that she writes and I should work on the length of my stories and make them longer! I am still smiling as I write this. Thank you GOD, these young American women were just delightful.

Having had such a wonderful experience on my flight down to FL. I was looking forward to the adventure home. Once again I boarded early. A15 this time. Behind me were two young girls flying together with no tags, A16 and A17 boarding order. On the Jet tube , I asked them if they wanted to go in front of me so they could sit together. Yes, they did take the window and middle seats , leaving the aisle for me. I admit it, I planned it. Once again I had wonderful seat mates. Cousins, ages 9 and 12. The 12 year old was in charge, Sorry, I think that is to young to be flying without the attendants looking out for them. They could not even see over the seats for the Oxygen demonstration. So little did I realize , as the adult on the seat row, I was responsible for helping them with their mask's , if need be, AFTER I put on mine. But, that was fine I was looking out for them already  I had another wonderful experience into the lives of two young women. Again, we shared pictures from our cell phones and family information.

Warning to parents of children flying alone. I am a nice person, but these children had no -I mean NO FILTERS; when it came to telling me personal family information. I shutter to think if a NOT nice person sat next to them -what would have happened? I dont know if it was me or my attitude or because I spent my life's work interviewing people and finding out information -that put these children at ease -but I could not believe the information I was getting. 

I dont know the solution but I am glad GOD put me in that aisle seat. I had a amazing flight experience and feel I helped protect the innocence of four young women -at least for a couple of hours. 

Life is good.


No comments: