Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Beautiful Day at the Shore

It was a beautiful summer day at the shore.

My best friend's first niece was just born on the 30th of June and is doing well after a day in natal intensive care to help her with her breathing. 6lbs 2oz & 18 inches long. Welcome to this wonderful world Molly Ann ! I have been praying extra hard for this little one.

My PSU roommate, Bonnie and husband Paul rode their bikes on to the Lewis to Cape May Ferry (over the Delaware River) -brought two friends (Denny and Claudia) approx the same age as we all are, and we all met up in Cape May, at the Bandstand. Parking is now metered and $1.00 per hour for max three hours at a shot. The meters accept credit cards. Sweet. Everyone threw their helmets and backpacks in my car and off we went. We had a nice lunch at the Ugly Mug on Washington Street Mall and then trolled for a free sample of fudge and toffee popcorn (yes I cheated )-being given away on the Mall.

Bonnie and Claudia had never been to Cape May and want to come back. They compared it to other places in the world. I could only add -it was similar to Key West. But surprise, Bonnie had bever been there either. I would go again, if she wanted to drive thru the Keys. But I do not think I want to do the speed boat ride from Ft Myers again -once was enough.

We loaded Bonnie's bike into my SUV (I really like my Honda CRV-ex) I was going to drive her back to the ferry while the other three rode. Bonnie's bike was a no speed -what we call a beach cruiser -they all had those fancy multi speed bikes. Bonnie was having knee problems -they were seasoned bikers. NOT fair.

We stopped at the Lemon Tree and got a Philly Italian Water Ice (Mango) well Bonnie did -they didnt have any sugar free for me-they gave her a sample spoon and she said it was really good. She bought it and It was so much -she split it into two cups and ate her cup there, and we got spoons and napkins for the others and then drove to the ferry to wait for them. They also liked it! It takes about 30 minutes or less to bike ride from West Cape May -Seashore Road- to the Ferry. I am glad we had a little special time to talk. I really miss old friends. Bonnie is also downsizing and ready to sell her house in a couple of years -so compareing notes is helpful.

The Ferry ( www.CMLF.com) was starting to get crowded ; motorcycles, cars and Motorhomes and walk on people waiting to board , today i even saw a cab!-While we were talking to one of the ticket Ladies -she said the Garden State Parkway was , well a Parking lot (that darn light in Middle Twp) and people were calling to say they were worried about making the last Ferry (which today was 6 pm) , YIKES ! -what would they do? , asked Bonnie. The answer -Drive around -which means =up to the closest bridge over the Delaware River - which is approx 2hours North and West -the Delaware Memorial Bridge over to Wilmington, De. It is a two lane road and if traffic is going the speed limit -it could be three hours or more. Not a pleasant trip -but it will save you big bucks. The Ferry aint cheap. As much as $42.25 for the car and driver one way at Peak times. Bikes and passengers are less and passangers with the shuttle,( to shop the Tanger outlets outside Rehoboth.) are $21.00 round trip.. It use to be a fun trip -but I havent done that since the fare was $8.00 -a long time ago. The ticket lady said they will not sell tickets after 1 pm to shoppers -not enough time. (smile) When I visit friends on that side, I usually stay over and then we shop!

As we waited for them to walk their bikes up the ramp a very cute Port Police held up a helmet from the bench we had been sitting on, I had been carring Bonnies' helmet -while they were gathering all their stuff -whoops- sorry Zi.

I stayed to wave goodbye and then took every back road I could find to get home -Hello? -I encountered no traffic on Rt 47 -sweet -I could have stayed in Rio Grande and shopped!!!

But wait , I just remembered, I dont shop to buy any longer -I am downsizing and retired. The pressure is off.

I may just buy a round trip walk on fare -the poor woman's cruise. A three hour round trip cruise (sing it Gilligan Island fans).

Now if I can stay out of the gift shop on board ship...................:))))

2 comments:

Katie said...

It sounds like you had a great day! I love the Washington Street Mall and Cape May in general. The Victorian architecture really speaks to me. I could go for some water ice and fudge too...

survivor said...

Ah, thanks Kate -with all the flu down there -I sort of wish you bothe were here! Be well!