Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wildwood Writers Conference -Day 1

Well today I spent the afternoon attending the Wildwood Writers Conference -it was a first for me . I had never attended one of these workshop -conferences before and I always wanted to. No it wasn't on the list -just something I wanted to do. I had no expectations -just curious. It had been well publicized down here in Cape May County. I am a creative writer and I thought it would be fun to go. My friend (Annie P. Scott.blogspot.com) said she would go with me -she went last year and said it was ok. She has published two books and well, honestly, could have been one of the speakers.

It wasn't fun. It was painful and terrifying .

Why am i here? I kept asking myself. These people are writers and want to be published. I was so overwhelmed. Yet it was interesting. I wonder why I am here? I think I just write for myself and friends. The blog and Christmas letters. My indigestion (heart attack) story for the radio. The stories I am starting to write for the Saturday Avalon Creative writers Group, but that is it. I am no where near the kind of writer I think is in the audience.

Yet...........could I be? Should I be?


Most small groups I have ever participated in, start with an introduction of the scheduled speakers in the audience- no one did. Then a followup with the audience members names (no one has name tags -networking is not the goal here) and what they hope to get out of the conference. I would have added 'how many books have you published?'. Maybe at the end?


The conference has about 25 to 35 people in attendance . It varies and I noticed some people didn't come back after dinner and some people apparently came in after work. The guest speakers are talking on various topics. They all have at least one book , sometimes more, published and on the market. I haven't read any of them, yet. Most seemed prepared to speak to an audience -and have obviously done it before -either teaching or speaking at other writers conferences. They are giving out helpful information , I guess.

I DO know that when one of the speakers told the group that 100% of their family vacation was deductible if they use it as research for their book -I almost fell out of my very hard chair. No that is NOT why I am here!

All these rules and hints and what to do and not to do and don't listen to anyone and get a book on grammar and write write write everyday -work it like a job and write thru all blocks and don't listen to your inner critic and WHY AM I HERE?

So far the limited brave class questions have been real &-filled with emotion.
I think i may have said the wrong thing in the bathroom to some woman who asked if i liked the conference -I was washing my hands and didn't say anything and she was out the door -hello .......she actually came back in to wait for my answer. SO, I told her I didn't know yet.
I don't know if she was upset - but hey, I still don't know why I am here so.................

I will let you know tomorrow after after the conference is over. Yes I am going back.

I may not know why I am there , but I do know I am Scottish and I paid the money for two days. Maybe that is why I am here, to learn how to MARKET a friends books? LOL



1 comment:

Annie P. Scott said...

Hey Survivor,
Thanks for not saying that your "published friend" didn't return after dinner. YAWN!
Oh, and my blog is anniedaze.blogspot.com ;) Come on, you're my agent now!

I loved the last speaker - something Kent was his name. And since I'm up early today I think I'll even show up for the first speaker today.

I ask myself "why am I here" all the time, not just in conferences - see my blog - haha.

Opinions on "writer's block" are like assholes, everyone has one. :D Write Write Write is the worst one to me.

Meanwhile - see you soon WITH FLYERS - and yes, I COULD be a speaker, maybe you'll get on that and book me for next year? :)

APS