Monday, May 25, 2009

The Greatest Generation

Happy Memorial day Veterans. Thank you all.

This weekend i stayed home and tried to get some more cleaning done. I did get the front windows cleaned inside and out and put the screens in. It took me all day. I was just so tired. Finished a book -and did not start a new one.

Spoke to family and got updates on my mother's brother, 83. He is very ill in the hospital. His children and grandchildren have all come in from their homes to support their mother and youngest sister. She and her family, still live in the hometown and have been wonderful thru out this whole illness. In fact, my cousin tells me, everyone has been so supportive. Especially their church friends. The family has lived in the same town for at over 40 years. Something to be said for small town USA. We are also worried for my aunt -who is fighting her stage four Ovarian cancer with chemo, every few of weeks. No fears of death, we are all strong in our faith. Just love for the family and saying goodbye.

I asked my mother ,79, if she wanted me to drive her up to see her brother and say good bye. My brother also offered to take off work and drive her up. My sister has no days off -or she would have offered also. But my mother said she wanted to remember her brother as she last saw him . I was a little shocked. She hadn't seen him since the memorial service for their youngest brother, Years ago. But it is her decision.

Their sister, age 85 June 3rd, does want to go up -but has broken her foot and is in a boot cast for four more weeks. She isnt driving anywhere -it is her right foot. She also cares for her husband, also 85.

Except for my Uncle's wife and my mother -all of them were WW II Vets. My Uncles the Army, my Dad and Aunt the Navy. My mother's dance school used to dance for the boys in VA hospitals. She said she still has nightmares about all the young boys so maimed from the war. I guess she can say goodbye -however she wants.

Their generation is pretty tough.

But so is mine.

No comments: