Thursday, May 21, 2009

Graduation Weekend!!!!

I haven't written in a while -so say some fans(?) -but my life is , well -sort of boring. My cousin and her daughter are coming in June for three days -my house is a disaster -i have given fair warning and they still want to come and visit. Go figure.

My niece Rachel, graduated from college on Saturday, YEA. Delaware Valley College, Doylestown, Pa. I rode up with my brother and sister in law and after the graduation and informal reception (very nice finger food and beverages) WE proceeded to empty her dorm
room.

Well, actually, my sis in law and niece did and my brother carried boxes up and down the stairs. Her roommate , also a senior, was also moving out and her parents were there helping. It was way to crowed for me. I waited at the bottom of the steps -on door duty.

My brother had brought a dolly that folded into a cart. The first load he pushed. The next load I pushed -alone- it seemed difficult -but I kept pushing . Got to the parking lot curb and two of the layers of boxes fell off. Disgusted with my stupidity and weakness, I refused the help of college students standing around and loaded up the boxes back on the cart. I then proceeded to dump them again. This time the college males no longer listened to my refusals and reloaded the cart. By this time my brother came back to me -having loaded the boxes he carried in his car. He gave me the 'LOOK' only a male can give a female and said 'i thought i showed you how to lift the cart over the curb?".

He had , I thought i could do it better. I was wrong.

Then my niece told me :"Aunt Robin , maybe you better guard the car". I hadn't planned it , honest, Tom Sawyer. I really did want to help.

Later we went out to dinner. Niece , Heather , living in Texas, the grandparents and my sister and husband, hadn't been able to make the graduation, but, my sister, was able to join us for dinner -along with my brother's mother in law. I was starting to feel the pain in my lower back. Yep, I hurt my back. I don't know how my brother did all those stairs and carried all the boxes. He even helped carry, Rachel's roommates' heavy computer ,down to her dad's car.

What a good man is my brother.

He knows how to lft carts over curbs, too!

2 comments:

labman98 said...

Well it is always good to know your limitations

Katie said...

Graduation is such an exciting time in one's life! I'm glad you could be there to share it with Rachel.