Saturday, April 4, 2009

Basket Weaving Workshop


I had the best time today -I signed up for a Basket Weaving Workshop at the Cape May County Main Library. It cost $10.00 and was taught by an ex Coast Guard Laurie Schiffelbein. It was a six hour workshop and except for a 5 min bathroom break -we worked the entire time. The workshop had 10 people sign up but eight showed up. The eight finished baskets were all amazing. Mine was the best -:))

but I liked them all -each woman picked her own colors and size of splint to weave. Yellow and white/red white and blue and yellow/purple and white/red and white/green and light purple and yellow flooded the room. It was Easter and baskets were everywhere.



Those who know me, know I have lots of baskets -all kinds -but this is the first one I ever made myself from start to finish. I think the key is same day workshops. That way I am forced to finish and don't have time to get bored. I really like baskets -I would like to learn to make them from native South Jersey materials -these are made from imported bamboo from China. Suppliers are H.H. Perkins Co. in North Haven, Conn. The problem with native plants, is I have trouble identifying poison Ivy and Sumac -and man, am I allergic! The teacher Laurie -once offered a workshop with native plants -no one wanted to use them and she got -yep-poison Ivy reaction.



Laurie is holding another workshop at the end of the month -the 'advanced basket' she is teaching is a magazine basket with a U-handle. I have already checked it out and think I can adapt it while I am making it.



My new bike needs a basket.















2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, 'advanced basket' sounds rather daunting! Go for it, though. I'm looking forward to seeing your next creation.

Rachel said...

You DID get the bike! Thats great! I'm jealous of your basket making skills! It looks wonderful!