Sunday, October 5, 2008

Let there Be DSL


I have a DSL line -I don't know what it stands for - but it makes me HAPPY!



A call to the Verizon Help line and ANOTHER connection with India -almost put me over the edge -when i heard the voice on the other end say: " I can not help you , everything seems to be connected - but it just isn't working -we will have a Dispatch person come out to " -remember that word Dispatch - it is the magic word or power word.


I said "No" at first -knowing that my house looks like a tornado went thru it, at least two times and if the dispatch person got lost in my house-I could be charged extra -but finally after a couple hours I gave up -


"OK schedule me for a dispatch man" i cried.


Then he told me to wait at my house from 8am until 8pm on Thursday-and they promised to only call on my cell phone to confirm and let me know when they are in the area.


Thursday my dispatch guy ( Tom) called on my House phone about 10am and he was in the neighborhood. I told him about the house -he said he had probably seen worse.


He went back to the little computer room and promptly said 'Lady -how old is this computer? Is that Windows 98? ' No Windows ME I said-then he said " I don't know anything about windows ME and is it connecting by USB? -oh no this isn't going to work! You need a new computer." - No shit but it is NOT in the budget this year.


Then my cousin David comes in the back door -Holding a small package he says is an ether net. I introduce him to Tom and it was like the angles started to sing and the babble of a male bonding -computer hardware geek language filled the room. My cousin Dave gave me a hug then -opened the back of my CPU. Tom lent Dave a tool from a tool belt he was wearing. (Oh yes, at that point I was ready for Tom, the dispatch man to get lost in my house - I had decided to keep him). But since the little room was now very crowded with these two big men, I left the room.


The ether net card and cousin David; did the trick -well that and a couple of hours and using the ORIGINAL disc to talk the installation thru AGAIN. The guys installed the DSL line -we found out Tom had a girlfriend in CA and he was suffering from allergies but liked his job here in NJ. He said finding my computer was like finding a beat up 57 Chevy that needed a lot of work, in your driveway. Is that like having your Steve Madden shoes stolen and PAYLESS left in their place? OH


It was finished -Tom did his 'ping" test and he left - Dave stayed to help me load a cleanup program and cleaned up my old computer memory.


It is now faster than dial up and I have been retired long enough to have forgotten how a really fast computer, at work responded. So this is great.

The first thing I looked at was YOU TUBE and my friend's nephew!!!!!
What a HOOT. I like this so far.
Happy Halloween !

3 comments:

storyteller said...

Congratulations! Methinks DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line and I'm glad that Verizon and your cousin managed to make things work. My experiences with Verizon (and AT&T) drove me to Cable. Enjoy your new speed and freedom ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

survivor said...

Ahhhhh Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Is that the Dispatch Man featured at the top of this post?
If so, I need for you to send him my way.
Thanks.